- Establish the goals, strategies, operational processes, internal controls and monitoring reports for the Risk Claims & Insurance team for the Ministry including all Communities, hospitals and foundations (see attached document).
- Direct supervision of five (5) co-workers – four (4) Director, Regional Risk/Claims positions (all remote) and one (1) Senior Data Analyst position – and indirect supervision of fifteen (15) Risk/Claims Managers and Claim Coordinators (all remote).
- Establish and monitor liability coverage for the Ministry through the use of Pooled Liability Programs, purchased insurance, risk transfer through contract provisions, and assumption of risk.
- Establish and meet financial goals for Risk Claims & Insurance including claim recognition and handling, claim reserving, loss and expense payments, departmental budget, Pooled Liability Programs reserving and balance sheet asset allocations in consultation with retained actuaries and Ministry Finance.
- Create and maintain a culture of fairness and accountability for the Risk Claims & Insurance team which includes a commitment to pay claims that are owed and to ensure workloads that are achievable.
- Draft and revise Pooled Liability Program documents as needed in compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and court decisions.
- Provide legal review of contractual terms regarding insurance and indemnification as requested by the Legal Department.
- Participate in legal review for all acquisitions and new ventures to ensure all appropriate insurance coverage terms and conditions through Pooled Liability Programs and/or purchased insurance for the acquired or new entity and for Mercy Health.
- Act as the sole source in consultation with the Ministry Insurance Manager and the Credentialing and Data Center for confirmation of coverage for liability and first party exposures for Mercy entities and co-workers.
- Serve as the principal liaison with Ministry Patient Safety leadership, the Data & Credentialing Center and Legal team members
- Manage the operation of relevant systems including Riskmaster, Datix, and Business Objects to ensure data integrity and completeness for financial reporting requirements.
Because you’re committed to excellence, you understand the importance of being properly prepared for your role at Mercy. That’s why you’ll bring to your role the right set of qualifications:
- Education: Bachelors Degree;
- Experience: Ten (10) years of claim management experience including direct management of remote staff and familiarity with medical malpractice claims
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse groups to impact and influence change.
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time.
- Proficient with Office including Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated understanding of actuarial reports and techniques.
Law Degree and eligible to join Missouri State Bar.
Membership in CPCU and CLM.
We’ll Support You at Work and Home
Our foundations are built on dignity and respect. Modern Healthcare Magazine named us as a “top 100 places to work.” We go out of our way to help people feel welcomed. We offer day-one comprehensive health, vision and dental coverage, PTO, and employer-matched retirement funds, even to part-time employees. We’re proud to provide tuition reimbursement to help you grow and learn new skills.
What Makes a Good Match for Mercy
Compassion and professionalism go hand-in-hand with us, along with exceptional quality care. Having a positive outlook and a strong sense of advocacy is in perfect step with our mission and vision. We’re also collaborative and are not afraid to do a little extra to deliver excellent care – that’s just part of our commitment. If that sounds like a fit for you as well, we encourage you to apply.